We at KRI support the spread of The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan in as many ways as possible, whether you are putting together a Yoga Manual, a book, a CD or DVD, a research article, website content, on-line products or translations of existing KRI products. In 2001, Yogi Bhajan contributed the intellectual property rights of all his teachings to YB Teachings, LLC, which KRI manages. Our job is to ensure that Yogi Bhajan’s Teachings are conveyed with accuracy and portrayed with integrity.
We do this by first having you formally request to use The Teachings for your product and then through a process called KRI Review. If your product meets the required standards it will receive the KRI Seal of Approval, a sign to consumers that The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan have been accurately conveyed in your product. Products displaying the KRI Seal of Approval are actively promoted by KRI, IKYTA and Aquarian Times.
The best time to contact KRI is early on in your product development process. Working hand in hand with KRI along the way minimizes the need for costly after-the-fact changes. Once you know what Yogi Bhajan Teachings you wish to use and have your product outlined, please contact Siri Neel Kaur Khalsa at firstname.lastname@example.org for an initial consultation.
Permission to Use The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan
After contacting Siri Neel Kaur for an initial consultation, the next step is to complete a “Permission to Use The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan” form. In completing this form, you will need to provide the type of product, the title, the Yogi Bhajan teaching material(s) you wish to use and the source(s) from which you obtained it. There is a $26 processing fee for handling your request.
KRI Review Process
There is a fee of $108 for KRI Review. This fee must be received by KRI prior to the commencement of the review process. In certain instances, this review fee may be waived. Siri Neel Kaur will let you know about this during the initial consultation.
As mentioned earlier the best time to contact KRI is early on in your product development process. It is common that the outcome of the KRI review process results in changes being necessary. Working hand in hand with KRI along the way minimizes the need for costly after-the-fact changes. This is especially important for photographs and illustrations, DVD’s and other recorded material which can be difficult and costly to change once they are done.
To submit your product for review, e-mail a copy of the manuscript to Siri Neel Kaur at email@example.com. CDs and DVDs can also be sent by email or a hard copy can be mailed to:
P.O. Box 1819
Santa Cruz, NM 87567
You will also need to e-mail or mail a scanned or hardcopy printout of all the previously approved Yogi Bhajan teaching materials that you intend to use, along with notations referencing these to your product.
The initial review process usually takes approximately 2-4 weeks to complete. If you are interested in having a product ready for Summer or Winter Solstice, the product must be submitted for review at least two months in advance of the event to insure completion. This is always a busy time for us.
The reviewer will work with you towards the goal of your product receiving the KRI Seal of Approval, although paying the fee and going through the review process does not guarantee it.
Before a product can receive the KRI Seal of Approval, an agreement is made regarding the amount of royalties to be paid to The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan. These funds support the ongoing work of developing the Library of Teachings. These fees can vary from a one-time flat rate paid in advance to a percentage of net sales (gross sales less returns & refunds) to a percentage of gross profit (net sales less production costs) whichever arrangement best suits your particular situation and product.
KRI Seal of Approval
The KRI Seal of Approval lets the consumer know that the product carrying this Seal has been through a rigorous review process by the KRI staff. The review process is designed to ensure that The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan are conveyed with accuracy and integrity.
The KRI Seal of Approval honors those products that successfully meet the standards of KRI review and can be displayed on your product once you complete the review process. Products with the Seal of Approval are actively promoted by KRI, IKYTA and Aquarian Times. Collectively, we reach millions of people all over the world.
Steps for Receiving KRI Approval
To summarize, here are the steps for receiving the KRI Seal of Approval.
- Complete and submit the Permission to Use The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan form
- Pay the Application Fee
- Complete the KRI Review Process
- Sign a Teachings of Yogi Bhajan royalty agreement
KRI Standards for Granting Seal of Approval
Due to the variety of products and situations, the criteria for granting the KRI Seal of Approval cannot be boiled down to a set of rules, although there are certain guidelines that are generally used by KRI for this determination. These guidelines are provided here so that you may be aware of them.
- The product creator first submits the Permission to Use The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan form, pays the Application Fee, completes the KRI Review process, and then signs a Teachings of Yogi Bhajan royalty agreement. If the product is for promotional purposes, the only requirement is a Permission to use The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan form.
- The Teachings used must be verifiable, either from material previously approved by KRI, including books, manuals and Yogi Bhajan video/audio material. In certain circumstances, it is acceptable to use information from the notes of Yogi Bhajan’s original students.
- The Teachings may not be changed though you may provide explanations and interpretations in your own words as long as these are clearly delineated from the original teachings and maintain the accuracy and integrity of The Teachings.
- The product must present The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan with accuracy and integrity.
- Instructions of Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan® must be accompanied by clear and accurate illustrations or photos.
- The product must contain a medical disclaimer.
- The Teachings cannot be mixed or changed by incorporating any other style or school of yoga. Other disciplines may be present in the material as long as it is distinct from Kundalini Yoga as Taught by Yogi Bhajan®.
- The product must acknowledge the source of The Teachings as Yogi Bhajan, Master of Kundalini Yoga, and must use the copyright statement from the Permission to Use The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan form (item #3).
- The product cannot contain material that conflicts directly with the philosophy of The Teachings.
- The product must be of professional quality in terms of writing, layout and graphics.
- The use of the trademarked phrase “Kundalini Yoga as Taught by Yogi Bhajan®” is encouraged.