The Kundalini Research Institute
KRI supports the dissemination of a comprehensive system of kundalini yoga, making it accessible to everyone through classes and content, and trains teachers that help students find peace, health, and prosperity in today’s modern age.
Established on February 1, 1972, the Kundalini Research Institute is a group of dedicated yogis working to help people bridge this ancient practice with modern living, allowing people to experience the empowering practical benefits. KRI, a non-profit corporation, supports the integrity of the practice and teaching by:
- Developing 3 levels of International Yoga Teacher Certification
- Offering free access to the teachings via the online Library of the Teachings
- Awarding the KRI Seal of Approval to products that successfully meet the standards of KRI Review
- Providing online services and physical resources for Kundalini Yoga students and teachers
Kundalini Yoga, the Yoga of Awareness, was brought to the West in 1968. Through the practice of Kundalini Yoga and meditation, your glandular and nervous systems are stimulated, and your capacity for creative potential is heightened. You gain inner vitality to compensate for the adverse effects of stress so you can excel in life..
Kundalini yoga classes are a dynamic blend of postures, pranayam, mantra, music and meditation, which teach you the art of relaxation, self-healing and elevation. Balancing body and mind enables you to experience the clarity and beauty of your soul. No previous experience in yoga is required for you to achieve results with your very first class.
Here at KRI we:
- Believe that Kundalini Yoga is a poweful and transformative practice that helps us become healthier, happier, and more spiritually connected. It enhances emotional fitness, cognitive function, spiritual vitality, and longevity.
- We want to make the system of kundalini yoga accessible to all. We also strive to provide more than just yoga classes, but also a welcoming community open to all belief systems and life paths..
- We want to support research to study and document the benefits of Kundalini Yoga.
- We view Kundalini Yoga as an adaptable practice for the most pressing needs of modern life and enhancing the human condition for future generations.
You can download and read KRI’s Annual Report for the fiscal year from July 2019 – June 2020 here.
About Kundalini Yoga
Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan® is a comprehensive yoga tradition, combining meditation, mantra, physical exercises and breathing techniques; it is a Raj Yog, encompassing the eight limbs of yoga into a singular practice of excellence and ecstasy. “Kundalini” literally means “the curl of the lock of hair of the beloved.” This poetic metaphor alludes to the flow of energy and consciousness that exists within each of us, and enables us to merge with – or “yoke” – the universal Self. Fusing individual and universal consciousness creates a divine union, called “yoga.” The Upanishads, dating back to the fifth century B.C., describe the kundalini, although the oral tradition reaches back even further into history. For thousands of years, this sacred science and technology was veiled in secrecy, passed along verbally from master to chosen disciple.
KRI’s mission is to uphold and preserve the authenticity, integrity, and accuracy of the Teachings of Yogi Bhajan through trainings, research, publishing and resources.
Click on the QUESTIONS below to view the answers