Yield: 6 servings
Ingredients for Hearty Winter Borscht:
- 6 medium beets with greens (2 bunches)
- 12 ounces white or red rose potatoes
- 1–2 carrots
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped green onions or cilantro for garnish
- ½ pint sour cream (optional garnish)
Instructions to make Hearty Winter Borscht:
- Rinse beets, cut off tops and root ends, and carefully peel. Cut into ¼-inch bite-size slices. Discard root ends. Coarsely chop greens. Scrub potatoes and cut them into bite-size cubes. Scrub carrot and slice into ¼-inch rounds.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add beets, greens, potatoes, and carrots. Return to the boiling point, then lower heat and simmer for about 30 minutes (until tender).
- Meanwhile, heat the ghee or oil in a small frypan over a medium flame. Add chopped onion and sauté until quite tender and barely browned. You will need to stir frequently to prevent browning.
- Place 2 cups of vegetables with 1 cup of broth into a food processor or electric blender and process until a smooth purée. Return to the soup pot and add cooked onions, pepper, salt, and lemon juice. Add a little more water if a thinner consistency is desired and stir. Heat thoroughly. Place in serving bowls. Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with minced green onions or cilantro sprig.
Recipes & Tales from a Yogi’s Kitchen
by Siri-Ved Kaur Khalsa
(Revised and Expanded New Edition)
In this completely rewritten and expanded second edition of From Vegetables with Love, you will find over 300 mouthwatering recipes and a wealth of information about the yogic approach to food and diet, including the healing properties of natural foods and herbs, helpful “yogi kitchen tips,” and stories from Siri Ved’s years serving as Yogi Bhajan’s personal chef.
Ebook version available HERE