KRI supports the spread of the teachings of Yogi Bhajan and Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan® in many ways. We already have a system in place for the approval of Yoga Manuals, books, CDs, DVDs, research articles, website content, on-line products or translations of existing KRI products. We are now including Specialty Courses to earn the KRI Seal of Approval.
In 2001, Yogi Bhajan contributed the intellectual property rights of all his teachings to YB Teachings, LLC which KRI manages. Our job is to ensure that Yogi Bhajan’s teachings are conveyed with accuracy and portrayed with integrity.
The best time to contact KRI is early on in your course development process. Working hand in hand with KRI along the way minimizes the need for costly after-the-fact changes. We understand that you may already have developed your course and you may have been teaching it. We will work closely with you to reach the goal of KRI Seal of Approval for your course.
Please read this document carefully. If you feel that your course contains the necessary materials to qualify for the KRI Seal of Approval proceed with the following steps.
Steps for Receiving KRI Seal of Approval for your Specialty Course:
- Initial consultation: contact Sadhu Kaur at firstname.lastname@example.org for an initial consultation. We will review together the requirements and may determine that your course does or does not qualify to apply for the KRI Seal of Approval; however, you may still have permission to use the teachings of Yogi Bhajan, before any fee is paid.
- Complete and submit the Application Form including all documentation
- Pay the $108 application fee to KRI;
- Complete the KRI Review Process as explained below
- Complete a Royalty Agreement that will be sent to you upon the completion of Steps 1-4.
Through the KRI Review process, we will determine whether or not your course qualifies for the KRI Seal of Approval. If your course meets the required standards, it will receive the KRI Seal of Approval, a sign to consumers that the teachings of Yogi Bhajan that are included in your course materials have been thoroughly reviewed for accuracy and integrity.
KRI Specialty Course Review Process
- An application fee of $108 must be received by KRI prior to the commencement of the review process.
- Submit the completed Application Form along with all required documentation (see below to complete the form). The review process will take approximately 4 weeks to complete. Depending upon the complexity of the course, it could take longer. You will need to provide copies of all kriyas, meditations, photos and Yogi Bhajan lectures that you will include in your course, including the source(s) from which you obtained them. If your course materials already carry the KRI Seal of Approval, indicate that on the application form.
- The reviewer will work closely with you towards the goal of your course receiving the KRI Seal of Approval. Please note that paying the fee and going through the review process does not guarantee an approval. We will communicate clearly with you regarding timing.
How do Royalties work?
Before a specialty course can receive the KRI Seal of Approval, an agreement is made regarding the amount of royalties to be paid to KRI for the teachings of Yogi Bhajan. These funds pay for our support staff as well as support the ongoing work of developing the Library of Teachings®. The royalty fee structure is standard; however, we will work with you for the arrangement that best suits your particular situation and course.
Why apply for the Specialty/Extension Course KRI Seal of Approval?
The KRI Seal of Approval lets the course participants know that the materials included in your course carrying this Seal have been through a rigorous review process by the KRI staff. The review process is designed to ensure that the materials utilized on Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan® are conveyed with accuracy and integrity.
The KRI Seal of Approval honors those specialty courses that successfully meet the standards of KRI review and can be displayed on your course materials and advertisements once you complete the review process. Courses with the Seal of Approval can be promoted by KRI and IKYTA. Collectively, we reach teachers and students of Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan® all over the world.
KRI Standards for Granting Seal of Approval
Due to the variety of courses and situations, the criteria for granting the KRI Seal of Approval cannot be boiled down to a set of rules, although there are certain guidelines that are generally used by KRI for this determination. These guidelines are provided here so that you may be aware of them.
- The course creator first submits the Application, pays the application fee of $108, completes the KRI Course Review process, and then signs a KRI royalty agreement.
- The teachings used must be verifiable, either from material previously approved by KRI, including books, manuals, photos and Yogi Bhajan video/audio material or from the Yogi Bhajan Library of Teachings®. In certain circumstances, it is acceptable to use information from the notes of Yogi Bhajan’s original students. The course creator must be a at least a KRI Level One Certified Kundalini Yoga Teacher. Guest teachers who are Kundalini Yoga teachers must also be certified at least Level One.
- The Teachings may not be changed, though you may provide explanations and interpretations in your own words as long as these are clearly delineated from the original teachings and maintain the accuracy and integrity of The Teachings.
- The course must present Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan® with accuracy and integrity.
- The course materials, curriculum and content must be primarily from the Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan®
- Instructions of Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan® must be accompanied by clear and accurate illustrations or photos.
- The course must contain a medical disclaimer.
- The course cannot include any other style or school of yoga. Other non-yogic disciplines may be present in the course material as long as it is distinct from Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan®.
The course materials must acknowledge the source of Yogi Bhajan’s teachings as being from Yogi Bhajan. You must use the copyright statement from the Permission to Use Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan ® form.
- The course materials, curriculum and content cannot contain material that conflicts directly with the philosophy of Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan®.
- The course materials must be of professional quality in terms of writing, layout and graphics.
- The use of the trademarked phrase “Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan®” is encouraged.
**Please Note: Specialty courses are not extensions of our current Teacher Training Programs. KRI Specialty Course approval does not mean that a graduate of the specialty course can teach Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan®. Specialty Courses are not a substitution or enhancement for KRI Teacher Training Level One, Level two or Level Three. KRI will not assist in the creation of these courses; administer them via registrations, tracking of students, graduates, etc.; nor will KRI consolidate courses of the same subject matter. KRI will approve qualified courses of the same subject matter.