Recipe of the Month – October 2020
- 1 package sourdough starter
- 1 package dry yeast
- 3 cups sesame seeds
- 2 tsp, salt
- 1 oz. sesame oil
- 1 1/2 cup warm milk
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups chopped peeled apples
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
Directions to make a Sesame Sourdough Bread
Prepare sourdough starter as per package directions. (You’ll need to do this about four days in advance.)
- Blend sesame seeds with sesame oil to make sesame butter. Set aside.
- Put 3 cups sourdough starter in a warm bowl. Stir in (in order) 1 cup whole wheat flour, honey, dry yeast, salt, warm milk, 2 cups sesame butter, chopped apples and melted butter. Stir well. Stir in 4 more cups whole wheat flour.
- Knead bread on a well-floured board until smooth and elastic.
- Lightly oil the dough and place in a large warm bowl.
- Allow to rise for about 2 hrs. until double size.
- Punch down and let rise again for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into two equal loaves. Place in well-greased loaf pans. (Dough should fill the pans no more than half full.)
- Allow to rise for about 90 minutes.
- Oil the top of each loaf.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove from loaf pans. For a softer crust, oil or butter sides and bottom immediately.
Extracts from Foods for Health and Healing
If you like this recipe and you would like to read more like it, please head to our store to purchase this book.