KRI August 2019 Recipe of the Month
Taken from From Vegetables, With Love: Recipes and Tales from a Yogi’s Kitchen
(Revised and Expanded New Edition) by Siri-Ved Kaur Khalsa
This healthy, Mediterranean-inspired salad is light but satisfying, and perfect for the warmer summer months.
Serve as a small salad or enjoy alone as a meal.
Keeps well in the fridge for a few days.
Summer Quinoa & Veggie Salad
- 2–3 cups cooked quinoa
- 4 small Persian cucumbers or 1 large cucumber, chopped into small pieces
- 1 pint cherry or pear tomatoes cut into halves
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup finely chopped chives or scallions
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
For the Dressing
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ large lemon or full small lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced very fine
- Salt and pepper to taste
Put cooked and cooled quinoa in a large mixing bowl and combine the rest of the salad ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together dressing ingredients and then pour over salad and toss well.
Serving Options: Garnish with chopped avocado, add hemp seeds or nuts of choice, and/or serve atop chopped arugula, raw kale, or mixed lettuces.
Yield: 4 – 6 servings